Each issue of Media Fields Journal is themed. Submissions should correspond to the themes of specific issues. All essay submissions must be previously unpublished, and all gallery submissions must not have been presented in full online, unless specifically solicited. All accepted content will be hosted on our site except by special arrangement.
Please e-mail all submissions with a brief cover letter and other accompanying material (see below for specific requirements) to email@example.com
All filenames should include your last name.
Submissions will not be considered unless they adhere to the guidelines on this document.
General Style Guidelines
All written submissions should be formatted according to the Chicago Manual of Style, 16th ed. All submissions should include a 200–300–word abstract (except for gallery submissions, as specified below) and a 50–word biographical statement in a separate attachment. Please adhere to the following requirements:
- Double spacing, Times New Roman, 12–point font
- One-inch margins
- Only Microsoft Word doc or docx files will be accepted
- Citations should be provided in Chicago-style endnotes only. Please do not use parenthetical citations, footnotes, or a bibliography
- Any references to films, even in passing, should include the director's name and year, e.g., The Naked City (dir. Jules Dassin, 1948) or Jules Dassin's The Naked City (1948), etc.
For more information about Chicago style, please visit http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/ or http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/717/01/.
- Two copies of all images should be submitted: one in 72 dpi and another in 300 or higher dpi (print resolution).
- If submitting images along with an essay, at least one image should be 250x150 pixels or larger in 72 dpi.
- Images should be sent as separate email attachments and not embedded within the text.
- IMPORTANT: Please indicate where in the body of your text the image should appear by adding a caption using bold and brackets, e.g., [Filename.jpg] or [Figure 1: Description]
We seek medium-length essays of approximately 1500–2500 words. We request that you include at least one image or audio or video clip related to the essay topic.
We welcome written, audio, or audiovisual interviews with media scholars, artists, and practitioners, and professionals in media industries. Interviews should be edited prior to submission. Issue editors also welcome proposals for interviews in advance of issue submission deadlines. Audio interviews should be submitted as email attachments in mp3 format; audiovisual interviews should be in mp4 or mov format. Audio and audiovisual interviews must be accompanied by transcripts.
Our gallery space features creative work related to the theme under examination in each issue. Submissions can include photography (jpg, gif, and png format), digital video (mov and mp4 format), and other digital art projects. We also welcome photo essays or other works that incorporate audiovisual and textual material. Gallery submissions should be accompanied by an artist’s statement of 300–500 words.
Rights and Permissions
Authors are responsible for obtaining permissions to any copyrighted material prior to publication. All authors retain rights to their work and may publish it elsewhere after it has appeared in Media Fields Journal.